If you don’t live under a rock, you’ve probably heard something about coconut oil becoming one of the hottest and hip new health and nutrition staples. For quite some time, coconut oil has been demonized as the “bad guy” because of its high saturated fat which, when consumed in large amounts, leads to heart disease and other health related problems.
However, Several studies in the past few years have suggested that saturated fats may not raise the risk of heart disease like previously thought and more and more research is showing that plant-based saturated fats may have a neutral (or even positive) effect on cholesterol as compared to animal-based saturated fat, and might offer other health benefits as well.
What sets coconut oil apart from other fats is the fact that more than half of it is made up of medium chain fats, also referred to as medium chain triglyerides (MCTs). MCT oil is ingested rapidly into the bloodstream and is available for energy faster than other fats, causing the body to burn more fat. Very little is stored as fat because it is used for energy that quickly!
Because of such rapid movement throughout the body, MCT oils help to
– increase metabolism and energy levels
– decrease appetite and therefore decrease food consumption
– reduce fat stores
– increase digestion and nutrient absorption
Whether you’re an athlete, trying to lose weight, or just simple living life, you will benefit from consuming MCTs. The easiest way to incorporate them into your daily regimen is to use coconut oil! Coconut oil is solid at room temperature but can withstand high heat. Always use coconut oil in replace of butter and vegetable oils. Do not worry about a coconut-y flavor- just try it!!!
Here’s a list of my favorite ways to include coconut oil:
– replace unhealthy vegetable oils when cooking/baking
– use in the place of butter(ex. Spread on toast, drizzle over popcorn, melt over vegetables)
– add to coffee or tea
– add to smoothies for creaminess
– use as a base for homemade chocolate (check out my Peanut Butter Cups Recipe)
– take a spoonful when you take your vitamins to improve absorption and a quick burst of energy
Also check out these cool uses for coconut oil!